Wednesday, January 03, 2007
posted by pablopabla at 11:08 am

Spinach Soup with Hawthorn Berries

*Urgent correction!! Oh dear! It is not supposed to be hawthorn berries! It's wolfberries! Where in the world did I get hawthorn berries from? I hope no one has used hawthorn berries and had stomach upset or the like after trying out this recipe. I can't possibly change the title above without getting this post topsy-turvy in the search engines. So, from here onwards, it's wolfberries, ya? Not hawthorn berries. Thanks to Jessie for raising enough suspicion in me that my original post is dodgy*

Spinach is a fast-cooking vegetable and packed with nutrients. That's why Popeye loves 'em. It can be stir-fried and it can be cooked in soup. Recently, my dear wife told me that she wanted to try cooking spinach soup with hawthorn berries (a.k.a. kei chee).

Imagine all the goodness from the spinach doubled up with the circulatory benefits of hawthorn berries (get the good quality berries which are slightly plummer and sweeter in taste). It is definitely a power-packed soup. Oh yes, the stock is made from ikan bilis soup. So, there you go. My daughter of 3 1/2 years old loved it. I think you will too!

This is my wife's recipe for Spinach Soup with Hawthorn Berries


Ingredients
  • 300 grammes of spinach (rinsed and plucked at the stems. Discard old or thick stems)
  • 10 grammes of hawthorn berries (about 20 to 30 pieces)
  • 100 grammes of minced meat (we use pork)
  • 50 grammes of ikan bilis
  • 3 soup bowls

Marinade (for minced meat)
  • 2 teaspoons light soya sauce
  • a dash of white pepper powder

Seasoning
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 teaspoons light soya sauce

Method

Boil ikan bilis in water for 30 minutes to make stock. Remove ikan bilis when done. Meanwhile, marinade minced meat.

Bring stock to boil again after removing ikan bilis. Scoop minced meat into meat balls using a teaspoon and add into the stock. Cook till all meat balls float to surface. Add spinach and hawthorn berries and bring back soup to boil. Add seasoning to taste and serve immediately.


Technorati Tags : , , , ,

Labels: , ,

 
7 Comments:


At 12:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

how come so coincidental ? i wanted to cook this, this week!!!???
I never bluff!
all the ingredients already in my fridge.

 

At 12:30 pm, Blogger pablopabla

tigerfish : That shows that it is indeed a delicious dish to savour :)

 

At 7:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous

I just bought spinach yesterday! Wanted to just do a simple stir fry with garlic, now I got alternative. But I don't know what is hawthorn berries. Can I use red dates?

 

At 9:17 am, Blogger PabloPabla

simcooks : These berries are also known as kei chee and often used in chinese herbal soups. It's similar to dates, only thing is that there is no seed. I haven't tried it with dates...you might want to experiment and let me know :)

 

At 4:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

This is my first time coming across the word hawthorn berries. The other more common name is wolfberries.

Next time, try to pound some hae bee. Stir fry them in some/little oil before adding water. Cook vege your usual way. Minus the berries la.

 

At 5:02 pm, Blogger pablopabla

hijackqueen : Thanks for saving the world from my dodgy hawthorns!

 

At 2:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi, I don't think changing your title will mess up the search engine indexing, because there is a new policy to update cached pages. You just need to give Googlebot a few days to re-index your revised page title.

Ref: this video, Matt Cunts talks about how Googlebot crawls the web, and what "crawl date" is shown on cached pages. Hope this helps.