Monday, December 18, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 12:14 pm

Stewed Pork Belly in Dark Soya Sauce (before slicing)


This recipe is VERY EASY and DELICIOUS. You have no reasons why you should not try it (unless you do not eat pork), even if you are a beginner. The ingredients are simple and can be obtained almost everywhere. In fact, I used to cook this dish during my university days in England and it was really nice to have it with steaming hot rice on a cold winter's night!



This is my recipe for Stewed Pork Belly in Dark Soya Sauce


Ingredients
  • 300 grammes pork belly (whole)
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 whole bulbs garlic (separate into individual cloves)
  • Approximately 15 - 20 white peppercorns
  • Warm water
  • 1 piece star-anise (optional)

Seasoning

  • 3 to 4 tablespoons dark soya sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Method

Add sugar into a wok / saucepan which has been heated up. Let the sugar caramelise (turn liquid and brown).

Once sugar fully caramelised, add pork belly and let it "sear" for 1 minute on each side. Add water to cover the chicken pork belly (*thanks to Tummythoz for identifying my error) by 1 to 2 cm. Add the rest of the ingredients and seasoning. Once water begins to boil, reduce to medium low heat, cover lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

To serve, separate gravy from the rest of the ingredients. Slice the pork belly to desired thinness.


Technorati Tags : , ,

Labels: , ,

 
9 Comments:


At 9:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Oooh looks yummy! Especially the fatty part :)

 

At 10:42 pm, Blogger Unknown

My family will surely like this. Thanks for the recipe.

 

At 10:50 am, Blogger Tummythoz

"Once sugar fully caramelised, add pork belly and let it "sear" for 1 minute on each side. Add water to cover the chicken by 1 to 2 cm."

Hahaha, pork belly to chicken. Like magic show-ar?

 

At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous

That looks really...My mom makes that dish once in a while...she uses exactly the same ingredients plus a stick of cinnamon. Now that you posted this on your website, I will make mine next week....hehe...

Regards,
Cynthia

 

At 11:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous

oopss...I missed the word "good" in my first line....

Cynthia

 

At 9:26 am, Blogger pablopabla

simcooks : Melts in your mouth :)

suanne : Happy cooking!

tummythoz : LOL! I wish it was! Thanks for the sharp eyes! Now I know you really scrutinize my recipe :)

Cynthia : Mum's recipes are always the best :)

 

At 3:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi, Just want to say I tried this recipe with a slight variation.

I had used 600g of pork belly but just one bulb of garlic. No white peppercorns, but 2 sticks cinnamon, 3 star anise, 3 cloves and 2 cardamon seeds (they came in a small packet my mom bought for me to bring to the US)

I ate it with plain bao skin and it taste EXACTLY like the "kong ba pao" I had been craving for soooo long! You are right. It melted in my mouth. I was so excited I must tell you!

I'll do it again, with less water so that the gravy will be more sticky.

Will blog about it later and point to your original recipe as reference ok?

Merry Christmas!

 

At 8:00 am, Blogger PabloPabla

simcooks : Hi simcooks! Your recipe is more "kong ba" rather than the plain styled like mine. I wanted to make "kong ba" but just have not got the time and suitable opportunity yet :)

Wanna link exchange?

 

At 2:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi PabloPabla, I'll be waiting for your "kong ba" recipe.

I have added your blog link to my blog. Thanks for adding mine to yours!