Thursday, December 28, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 12:01 pm

Deep Fried Tofu Meat Patties

This was an experimental dish recently and I was quite pleased with the outcome. What I had in my fridge that day were 2 pieces of firm tofu (beancurd), about 200 grammes of lean pork, some oyster mushrooms and other vegetables. This time, rather than cooking another "usual" tofu dish, I decided to make patties out of it, not unlike burgers.

After steaming

The main ingredients here are tofu and pork whilst the rests adds to the colour and gives its distinctive taste. The end result is a tofu meat patty which is crispy on the outside and yet, juicy and semi-firm on the inside. My daughter liked it very much. It is tasty eaten with rice and also great for tea time snack or parties. I think it will taste even better if it is dipped into some freshly pounded red chilli and garlic with a squeeze of lime. I intend to continue modifying this recipe and will add them in this blog in due course. Nevertheless, I hope you will try this recipe as I loved it!

This is my recipe for Deep Fried Tofu Meat Patties


Ingredients
  • 2 pieces firm tofu
  • 200 grammes of lean pork mince
  • 1/4 piece of carrot (diced as finely as possible)
  • An equivalent amount of spring onions (chopped finely)
  • An equivalent amount of oyster mushroom or any other type of mushrooms (chopped finely)
  • An equivalent amount of dried prawns (chopped / pounded finely)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
  • 3 tablespoons of corn flour
  • Oil for deep frying

Seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons of oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder

Method

In a mixing bowl, combine and mash up the tofu, pork, carrot, spring onions, mushrooms, dried prawns, garlic, corn flour and seasoning and mix well in one circular motion. Set aside for 30 minutes.

Place mixture in a stainless steel bowl or deep plate and steam it for 10 minutes. The mixture, especially the meat, should be at least 70% cooked after steaming. Remove from steam and place bowl over cold water (to cool it rapidly).

When mixture has sufficiently cooled down, break the egg onto mixture and stir it in one circular motion till egg is evenly distributed. Add some corn flour if mixture is runny.

Heat oil in wok for deep frying. To fry, scoop one heaped tablespoon of mixture and using another spoon held on another hand, push / slide the mixture into the oil. Fry till patty becomes golden brown. Place fried patties on absorbent kitchen napkins to absorb excess oil prior to serving.

For more recipes on tofu / beancurd, click on Beancurd below.


Technorati Tags : , , ,

Labels: ,

 
9 Comments:


At 3:20 pm, Blogger wonda

Like you, I also experiment with food. The grocery van happened to sell two packets of two miserable bitter gourds in each pkt. (different from Malaysian ones). Bought one pkt and going to try your recipe tomorrow. Dunno ho chiak or not cos I cook, not you cook. But should be, since your title said Ho Chiak. I think I'll steam the tau hu with the meat. Got only the soft type of tofu. Have to cut down on fried foods.

 

At 3:27 pm, Blogger pablopabla

wonda : LOL! I'm feeling so much pressure now with people evaluating my recipes :P

I think the bitter gourd should be hochiak but that's based on hearsay. Ahem!

As for this tofu dish, if you wanna steam it, remove dried prawns and egg from the recipe. You might want to consider adding water chestnuts for a little crunch ;)

 

At 3:43 pm, Blogger wonda

Take it easy, PP. I meant to say that I am a lousy cook and my food ends up in a failure cos I always agak-agak the measurements. But sometimes my Jap. friends didn't know about the failures, they tot it was good and asked me to cook again. LOL!

 

At 8:28 pm, Blogger wonda

PP,
Kamsiah! Tried the chicken with bitter gourd in a frying pan. Hochiak! Hochiak! But if you cook, lagi hochiak! Agak-agak the measurement but alamak! Just realized that I forgot to add in the dried mushroom .I substituted miso for taucheow and add sesame oil and a few cut chillies. Aiya, you want to close this blog ah? Mai eh neh kuan lah! If you do, I got headache oledi cos dunno what to cooklah. Please! Please! Ban ban lai also never mindlah.

 

At 7:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous

I was really thinking of making this dish too! Ingredients are almost 80% similar. Will post it after I succeed. This would be another good reference for me. Thx!

 

At 1:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

What happened? What happened? Why does Wonda say you want to close this blog? For the sake of your fans, continue hor! Your food is really Hochiak!

I followed your tip to cut the kailan stems on the bias then stir fry with pork and prawns. It was really delicious!

Happy New Year to you!

 

At 1:33 pm, Blogger wonda

Discontinue this blog or only write about food reviews and no more orignal recipe and food pix? The show MUST go on. Just take your time. Aiya, feel bad and sorry I scared you with my comments. Tui pooi chee!

 

At 9:49 am, Blogger PabloPabla

wonda & simcooks : I am still around. Was on holiday lah...I don't intend to close the Hochiak blog. Just playing with the idea of purchasing a domain for this Hochiak blog :) With your support, I will continue to foodblog :)

tigerfish : How was it?

 

At 7:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Wah heng ar! Good good... Consider Wordpress also hor... then we can do trackbacks :)