Tuesday, November 28, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 5:43 pm

Stir-Fried Yau Mak with Garlic

I like vegetables. I think I am okay with all types of vegetables except the obvious bitter ones eg. bitter gourd. I know it is good for health but I usually give it a pass. Not with green leafy vegetables though.

There are many varieties of lettuce around and most of them can be eaten raw or cooked. If you intend to stir-fry the lettuce, make sure that your wok is really heated up to very high temperature (smoking) so as to minimise cooking time and to prevent too much water oozing out from the leaves. The idea is not to have the vegetables swimming in a pool of gravy. You also lose a lot of essential vitamins and minerals by prolonged cooking of the vegetables. Here, I use a type of lettuce known as "Yau Mak" which is a slightly smaller version of the romaine lettuce. I should have taken a photo of it before the leaves were separated and rinsed.

This is my recipe for Stir-Fried Yau Mak with Garlic


Ingredients
  • 2 pieces yau mak (or to your desired amount but bear in mind that they will shrivel and reduce in size as you cook, separate leaves and rinse well. Drain in colander to remove excess water)
  • at least 5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
  • 4 cloves of shallots (sliced thinly)
  • 3 tablespoons of palm oil

Seasoning
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of oyster sauce

Method

Heat up oil in wok and fry shallots till golden brown. Remove fried shallots aside.

Add garlic into remaining oil and stir fry for about 10 seconds followed by yau mak. Give it two or three stirs and add oyster sauce. Stir till leaves are evenly coated with sauce. I like the leaves crunchy, so I do not usually stir fry them for more than 1 minute.

Sprinkle fried shallots prior to serving.


Technorati Tags : , ,

Labels: , ,

 
5 Comments:


At 1:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous

I always liked your simple dishes. It;s the type that my mum always made and that I had forgotten about them ever since I left Malaysia for Canada. Thanks for sharing.

 

At 5:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi, I only have a non-stick wok and am wondering if that can work too?

 

At 8:37 am, Blogger PabloPabla

ben : I learnt it young from mum and what better tribute than to pass it on :) But at times I really thought some of the dishes are too simple that people might find it not worth reading :P

simcooks : No problem with the non-stick wok as long as it is well heated up. But do reduce the cooking oil by half.

 

At 11:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Do you need to add water, to have some gravy, otherwise will it be too "dry

 

At 1:51 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

wm : No, never add water when you stir-fry yau mak or any type of lettuce. It will be a big mistake to add water as the leaves will continue to ooze out the water / juice (as it is still warm after the stir-frying).