Thursday, November 16, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 10:45 am

Hot and Sour Szechuan Vegetable Soup


Got szechuan vegetable in your kitchen? Why not cook soup with it? Szechuan vegetable which is preserved with chilli and salt imparts a distinct flavour when cooked in soup. The soup will be spicy hot and salty. When you add a couple of tomatoes into the soup, it's be hot and sour. Definitely appetising especially when eaten with long bean rice or even cabbage rice.

Depending on how hot or salty you want your soup to end up, you can actually wash or even soak the preserved szechuan vegetable prior to cooking. I usually just wash the szechuan vegetable rather than soaking as I like the original taste of the preserved vegetable. My mum adds a couple of cloves of garlic for added taste but I don't really fancy that. You can try it if you want.

This recipe is simple and not intimidating for first timers!

This is my recipe for Hot and Sour Szechuan Vegetable Soup.

Ingredients
  • 1 piece szechuan vegetable larger than the size of an egg (washed and sliced)
  • 3 - 4 large tomatoes (quartered)
  • 50 to 100 grammes of minced pork or pork ribs or chicken parts
  • 2 soup bowls or 600 ml of water
Method

Bring water to boil and add sliced szechuan vegetables and tomatoes. If you are using pork ribs or chicken parts, add them now. Simmer for 1 hour or more till water reduced to approximately 1 soup bowl.

If using minced pork, 3 minutes before intended serving, bring back to boil and add minced pork shaped into small balls.

Serve steaming hot.


How about stir-frying the szechuan vegetable? My recipe for Stir-Fried Pork with Preserved Szechuan Vegetable here.

Technorati Tags : , , ,

Labels: , ,

 
10 Comments:


At 11:43 am, Blogger Bkworm

I've been following your blog and I just want to say thank you for sharing your recipes. They are easy to follow and they work! *happy* I'm a lousy cook and following your recipes have made cooking so much more easier for me.

 

At 12:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

u can add corn to make it more delicious.... :)

 

At 1:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

My favorite soup, yum.

 

At 2:00 pm, Blogger Babe_KL

my mom usually will add some silken tofu too

 

At 2:16 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

bkworm: Thank you for your encouragement! Do remember to experiment, ya?

girlgirl : Really? Unfortunately, I am not really a fan of corn :P But my wife likes it :)

suanne : Slurp!

babe_kl : My mum too! LOL!

 

At 7:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Hot and sour soup. Yummy!

I also like stir fried strips of szechuan vegetable with thin strips of lean meat. Good with rice too!

 

At 12:07 pm, Blogger Tummythoz

Like mine with chunks of carrot.

 

At 6:27 pm, Blogger mh

my sister usually combine 2 soup ingredients into one, your szechuan vege soup + ABC soup (potatoes, carrots, onions), wonder you try that before? I don't like corn, so usually I will not add it in.

 

At 10:11 am, Blogger Fantasy "Sticky" Flier

greetings from canada...you're a life saver! now I got loads of recipes to use here now :D thanks!

 

At 3:23 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

Whoa! I didn't know there's a version of szechuan veg soup with carrots / ABC-style until girlgirl, tummythoz and tekko mentioned. I really wonder what's the taste like... :)

fantasy: Hope you can get the ingredients!