Thursday, January 04, 2007
posted by pablopabla at 10:29 am

Sitiawan Noodle ala PabloPabla

This must be one of the discoveries from Sitiawan. I was there for a trip recently and chanced upon these instant noodles being sold at a famous Kong Pia shop. Read about my review on the kong pia. Anyway, I've always known that the Foochows have great tasting noodles called "Kan Pua". And I believe these are the dried and instant type.

Seng Huat Hand-Made Instant Noodles

Having brought it home, I went to the wet market the next day, bought some char siew (with sauce), cucumbers and carrots and had a lip-smacking lunch ala PabloPabla. Almost like cold soba styled, it's simple, light, healthy and definitely, delicious! These noodles are different because of the texture and it does not break easily. It also does not clump up. Try it if you can get your hands on these noodles. Otherwise, just try it with any other types of instant noodles though I can't guarantee it will be as nice.

This is Sitiawan Noodle ala PabloPabla


Ingredients
  • 5 pieces Sitiawan instant noodles
  • 200 grammes of char siew (sliced thinly)
  • 1 medium sized cucumber (remove core, cut to strips)
  • 1 medium sized carrot (cut to strips)
  • 5 shallots (sliced thinly)
  • 5 tablespoons palm oil
  • Water for boiling

Seasoning
  • 50 ml char siew gravy / sauce
  • 3 teaspoons light soya sauce
  • a couple of dashes of white pepper powder

Method

Fry shallots in oil till golden brown. Remove fried shallots. Save up 2 tablespoons of shallot oil.

Boil instant noodles till al-dente. Remove, run through cold tap water and return to boiling water to heat it just a little. Drain and let the noodles cool down.

In a large mixing bowl, mix noodles with seasoning and shallot oil till even.

Place an amount of noodles on serving plate, garnish with generous amounts of cucumber, carrots and char siew. Mix well before eating. Gives about 4 servings.


Technorati Tags : , , , ,

Labels: , ,

 
4 Comments:


At 3:33 pm, Blogger Tummythoz

Somehow I find it odd to add cucumber in noodles except for assam laksa.

 

At 11:30 pm, Blogger 5xmom.com

You made me so hungryyyy....I only eat oats for dinner and I want a plate of this now! Must ask my sis to buy it the next time my bro-in-law balik kampung to Air Tawar.

 

At 7:25 am, Blogger tigerfish

I was still trying to figure out what is Kong Pia till I click your link and found that it's what known to be as "Pong Pia". Is this noodles like "Yee Meem" ?

 

At 8:26 am, Blogger PabloPabla

tummythoz : It's actually very refreshing to have cucumber strips in this dish. Gives the dish a good bite.

5xmom : Why only oats for dinner? I thought you would be cooking a storm!

tigerfish : On the contrary, I believe pong pia is different as it has a sweet and sticky filling like molasses. Kong Pia's filling is different and tastes totally different. As for this noodle, it has a unique taste of its own - a bit like pasta and no starchy smell at all. It's much nicer than yee mee, which I find has a rather "commercial" taste to it. But then again, I am not a fan of yee mee becuase it reminds me of rubber bands.