Tuesday, December 26, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 11:32 am

Claypot Chicken with Bitter Gourd

This is my mother's recipe. I've never acquired the taste for bitter gourd all these years though I know it is packed with nutrients and goodness. I am informed that this dish - Chicken with Bitter Gourd is a favourite amongst many who like bitter gourd. I am also informed that the bigger and older the bitter gourd, the less bitter it is.

So, I thought why not I post it up here on this blog for those who like to eat chicken with bitter gourd but do not know how to cook it. My mum used the claypot to retain the warmth of the dish as well as to ensure that the chicken and bitter gourd continue to simmer slowly though it has been removed from the cooker. If you don't have a claypot, it doesn't really matter. Just serve it on a plate.

This is my mother's recipe for Claypot Chicken with Bitter Gourd.


Ingredients
  • 1 large bitter gourd (wash, remove seeds, cut halved across the bitter gourd and then, cut to chunk bite sizes)
  • 2 whole chicken legs (remove skin and cut to chunky bite sizes. You can keep the skin if you don't mind the dish slightly oily)
  • 5 pieces dried chinese mushrooms (pre-soaked till soft and cut to two with stems discarded)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons tau cheo
  • 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil (preferably palm oil)
  • 1 cup warm water

Seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dark soya sauce
  • Salt to taste
  • a pinch of sugar

Method

Heat oil in wok and stir-fry garlic and tau cheo for 30 seconds. Add chinese mushrooms, chicken and bitter gourd and continue stir-frying till outer layer of chicken meat is cooked.

Add seasoning and water enough to cover the ingredients. Bring to boil. Meanwhile, if you have a claypot, heat it up whilst waiting for the gravy to boil in the wok.

Once the gravy is boiling, transfer contents into claypot and simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat till gravy reduced to your liking. If you do not have a claypot, simmer likewise.

Serve hot with white rice.


Technorati Tags : , , ,

Labels: , ,

 
8 Comments:


At 12:52 pm, Blogger PP

Oh i love this dish but I use "tau si" the salted black beans. I used to hate bittergourd but as I few up, I just acquired the taste for this! Its also good for you, but then most bitter things are lol..

 

At 5:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Another familiar "my mom made this too" recipe! Mine uses thin strips of pork instead.

 

At 4:49 pm, Blogger Tummythoz

I've been taught that the deeper the grooves (wrinkles?) on the skin of the gourd, the more bitter it is.

 

At 10:58 am, Blogger wonda

Pop into your kitchen. Wah! You can also choo chiak! Hor liau lu! Winter is not the season for bitter gourd and more expensive if can get it here. Thanks. Never cooked this dish b4 but will try it next time. Haven't written my post on that topic yet. Will inform you but pai seh lah, I don't write well like u. (Alice)

 

At 11:43 am, Blogger pablopabla

paris : I still hate bitter gourd though I think I have grown up a bit ;)

simcooks : We all learn from mum, hor?

tummythoz : That's a groovy tip!

wonda : Mai an neh kong wah la...cho wa pai seh nia :P

 

At 1:33 pm, Blogger BuddingCook

yummy bitter gourd. i actually like it. vietnamese cook the gourd a little differently. i need to ask my mom how to cook her bitter gourd. i don't think my husband would like it though even though i miss it now.

 

At 4:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

I love bittergourds but I usually cook it with eggs (fried or soup). Looks like I must try some other variations like yours. Usually, black bean pork ribs with bittergourd is what I'll order off a teochew porridge stall but it seems much work into preparation and cooking.

 

At 3:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

I modified the recipe slightly. One tablespoon tau cheo and 1/2 a tablespoon of tau si. In addition, I added about 4 fresh red chillies into the mix. It's simmering on the stove now as I type this. Can't wait to try it.