Wednesday, October 18, 2006
posted by pablopabla at 2:57 pm

Kiam Chye Tau Foo Soup


Further to my last post on Long Beans Rice, I did mention there that it tastes great with soup. I am referring to Kiam Chye Tau Foo Soup which is basically Salted Mustard Leaves and Beancurd Soup in Hokkien dialect. Somehow or rather, the salty, sour and sweet nature of this soup complements the Long Beans Rice well.

Remember the water used to boil the belly pork in the Long Beans Rice recipe? The stock is used for this soup and in fact, you can retain a couple of slices of the pork to enhance the flavour of this soup. Nothing goes to waste! See the Long Beans Rice recipe for the preparation of the stock.

This is my recipe for Kiam Chye Tau Foo Soup.

Ingredients
  • 5 to 10 pieces of salted mustard leaves (kiam chye)
  • 2 large tomatoes (quartered)
  • 1 piece beancurd (soft type, approximately 6 inches x 2 inches x 2 inches - LxWxD, cut into 8 pieces)
  • 2 bowls of stock (prepared using 2 1/2 bowls of water used to boil belly pork)

Method

Bring stock to boil and add tomatoes and salted mustard leaves. Simmer for 1 hour or more.

3 minutes before intended serving, bring back to boil and add beancurd.

Serve steaming hot.


Technorati Tags : , ,

Labels: , ,

 
2 Comments:


At 9:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

I find that if I toss in a couple of cloves of garlic (whole but peeled)it improves the taste. Try it.

 

At 10:28 am, Blogger PabloPabla

anon : My mum likes to add in the garlic but I don't really like the "garlicky" smell :)